Steve Harper set to Leave New Castle this Summer



Steve Harper has not been offered a new contract and will look to take up a player-coach role at another club next campaign.

The 38 year-old is the only player to have been involved in every one of Newcastle’s Premier League seasons.

Harper said: “It has been a privilege to be a professional at such a fantastic football club.

“If you had said to me as a raw kid from Seaham I’d be at the club for 20 years as a professional, I would have said you were mad.

“People describe the club as an emotional rollercoaster and it certainly has been. I’ve had some fantastic times here.

“There have been some difficult times as well, but I have enjoyed it all.

“I’ll look at all options in the summer. Whether it’s playing or player-coach, we’ll see what’s out there.”

Seaham born Englishman has been held back with knee problems this term and Rob Elliot is now the preferred stand in to No1 stopper Tim Krul.

Steve has not ruled out the possibility of moving to a Championship club before the Football League emergency loan window slams shut at the end of the month.

But the old hand would prefer to stay at St James’ Park for the club’s final game of the season against Arsenal — even if it is to watch his kids run out as mascots.

Harper said: “Tim is on his way back and he’ll be back in the next game or two.

“I’m not sure on the loan situation. The deadline is at the end of the month and that may be an option.

“I’m fit now, I can play if needed, but we’ll see what happens.

“I hope my kids can be mascot for the last game of the season. And then it would be nice to get a good 
send-off with a win against Arsenal.”

He added: “There have been some tough times. When Shay was playing week in, week out it was hard.

“A three or four-year period of little or no action was very tough.

“But I got a good couple of years run of playing every week and it was worth staying for.



No comments:

Post a Comment